March 11, 2015

Opening Day! Well, sort of...

Virtual baseball is back here at "Buzzing the Tower" and I'm excited to announce that I'll be playing through a season called "The Sensational Seventies". I'm equally enthused that I have since graduated to a PS4 which will enable me to continue this season throughout the course of the "MLB the Show" future titles thanks to the ability to carry season files over to newer editions.

I have created a series of teams from the Late 1970's and after two plus tedious months, I have finally finished this roster set. My focus will be on the '75 Red Sox as each franchise as a team represented from 1975 to 1979. If you are a nostalgic baseball junkie like me and you enjoy baseball video games, come on over to Operation Sports > http://www.operationsports.com/ and check out the bevy of classic rosters that have been created.


The only drawback with MLB the Show is that there is no option to create your own league by leaving teams out. In order to fill in the gaps and give each franchise a team, I had to use inaugural versions of newer teams like the Diamondbacks, for instance.  Here are the teams involved in my season.

1975 Boston Red Sox 
1979 Baltimore Orioles 
1978 New York Yankees 
1978 Detroit Tigers 
1978 Milwaukee Brewers 
1976 Cleveland Indians 
1977 Minnesota Twins 
1977 Chicago White Sox 
1979 California Angels 
1977 Kansas City Royals 
1978 Oakland A’s 
1977 Texas Rangers 
1977 Toronto Blue Jays 
1978 Seattle Mariners 
1998 Tampa Bay Rays*


1979 Atlanta Braves
1975 Cincinnati Reds
1976 New York Mets 
1977 Chicago Cubs
1979 Pittsburgh Pirates 
1976 Philadelphia Phillies 
1979 Montreal Expos
1979 St. Louis Cardinals
1978 San Francisco Giants
1977 Los Angeles Dodgers 
1978 San Diego Padres
1979 Houston Astros
1993 Miami Marlins*
1993 Colorado Rockies*
1998 Arizona Diamondbacks*


The '75 season was Boston's diamond jubilee season marking their 75th in MLB existence. Who could forget one of the greatest outfields in baseball history? Heck, it's the year I became a Red Sox fan! My all-time favorite Red Sox is in this pic below. Loved Dewey!



Now, I don't know how long it'll take me to finish this season, and I certainly won't  have time to actually play every game as some will be simulated. However, the games that I do play I will share from time to time her on the blog to let you know how things are going. I'll also be dabbling in some other roster sets as well, and I'll also share some of those games.  So without any further ado, let's go back into the mists of time with baseball from the 70s...




Boston Red Sox 3 @ Baltimore Orioles 0

Carl Yastrzemski had two RBIs including a solo homer to back 7.2 scoreless innings authored by Luis Tiant as Boston took the season opener at Camden Yards. Tiant was brilliant tossing 109 pitches striking out 6 and walking one. Dick Drago picked up the last four outs against an anemic Baltimore offense. Oriole starter Mike Flanagan only allowed 3 hits but was a victim of the poor defense and lack of punch at the plate. The Orioles only managed three hits in total and featured shaky defense committing three errors. Check out the highlight package below.




No comments:

Post a Comment