August 21, 2016

A Sunny Forecast in the Win Column?


Well, this is the second time I have tried to see if my prophecy was correct, and once again, I'm greeted with a "This Game is in Rain Delay" screen on MLBTV. It is movie night at my house on Saturday nights, so I have trouble tuning into the action for the night games. Earlier in the evening, I penciled in the lineups for tonight into MLB The Show 16 to see what I could possibly expect, and I must say, I enjoyed the results.


Drew Pomeranz ran into a spot of trouble in the first as his was tagged for a three run homer by Victor Martinez. Boston inched back in the second with a RBI single from Aaron Hill then took charge in the third with homers from Bryan Holaday and Xander Bogaerts. Xander, as can be seen above, had a huge game as his dinger was of the two run variety 

The Tigers rallied in the fourth as Mookie Betts misplayed a ball that was sliced down the right field line by Erick Aybar allowing Ian Kinsler to score all the way from first to tie the game 4-4.

The Red Sox would immediately answer Detroit  just as they did back in the second inning. Betts, who had goofed on the Aybar double atoned for his mistake. After Bogie grooved a one out double, Betts laced an RBI single to put Boston in front for good.



The Boston bullpen was called upon in a dicey situation in the seventh. Pomeranz had gotten one out but gave up a single to Erick Aybar . With Miguel Cabrera coming up, I then gave the ball to Heath Hembree. Cabrera would single off Hembree which put runners on the corners with one out, but Heath then got Victor Martinez to ground into an inning ending double play.

The offense then kicked into high gear in the ninth allowing me to save Craig Kimbrel for another day. Holaday and Bogaerts struck again, this time for RBI doubles and Mookie Betts clubbed a two run shot Barnes pitched a clean eighth and stayed on in the ninth for the save Pomeranz would go 6.1 innings giving up 9 hits and striking out 4 while only allowing 1 free pass. He settled down quite nicely after a difficult first inning and this enabled Boston to climb back into the game. Highlights are below.



Well, I can see the game has come back on and Hembree is now on for Pomeranz. Good to see I'm thinking right along with John (I can't believe I just said that). Obviously, the rain delay put me off an inning but as long as we get the "W", it's all good. Heath just set down the Tigers, and it's on to the seventh. Time to return to reality

No comments:

Post a Comment