February 15, 2017

The Sensational 70s - Final Standings and Wildcard Matchups


It's taken nearly two full years, but my Sensational 70s season has been completed. Between creating classic rosters, playing different playoff series with those rosters, playing various other games within my classic season, and the pace of life, it is very satisfying to finally reach the summit of a great dream season.

I selected teams from the mid to late 70s because this was the era that my passion really evolved for the game. I was an avid baseball card collector during this time, and it was during this time that I settled on the  1975 Red Sox as my favorite team after a brief dalliance with the Montreal Expos. It was this storied edition of the Boston franchise that I built my 70s campaign around, and a 98 win season wasn't too shabby. Having said that, I didn't play every Sawx game on the schedule. I did simulate games against some of the poorer teams as I found those games a bit boring to play, but I  played at least 100 games controlling the Red Sox.

After being swept by the Yankees in the final series of the season, I will now go up against the 1979 Baltimore Orioles in the American League wildcard game. Going into the series, I had a shot at first place as Boston was only one game out. The first two games of the series were gut-wrenching losses which doused first place aspirations. The Yankees took the finale easily by a 7-3 margin. Boston posted a 12-7 record against Baltimore in the regular season.

Other teams joining the postseason in the American League are the 1977 Kansas City Royals, 1977 Texas Rangers, and the AL East champs the 1978 New York Yankees.The final standings and wildcard preview are below.


American League Wildcard Preview





In the National League, it came down to the final game of the season to decide the final wildcard spot which was nabbed by the 1979 Montreal Expos. The  '76 Phillies lost their final game and an Expos win vaulted them into the wildcard game against the 1978 Milwaukee Brewers. Both teams split their season series with 3 wins apiece. The other playoff participants are the 1977 Los Angeles Dodgers, the 1975 Cincinnati Reds, and the 1976 New York Mets. The final standings and wildcard preview are below.


National League Wildcard Preview





I plan on playing both these games as I'll try to also guide the Expos to the NLDS. Regardless of the outcome of my game against the O's, I will see this season through the post-season even it means chasing the title with a different squad. Hopefully, it won't come to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment